4K options for streaming home media?

Discussion in 'Media Players' started by roguatron, Dec 8, 2015.

1. roguatron

roguatron New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Merced, CA
    Hey all. My cords have actually been cut for the past 5 or 6 years now, so streaming services or tv trackers isn't the type of input I'm looking for. I've just bought a Samsung 65" 4K UHD Smart TV for my dad during the Cyber Friday/Monday/Week madness that just went by is still going on, a purchase that is the result of hours of reading and research on brands, quality, consumer consensus, etc. We're all quite excited for the concept of a "smart tv", seeing as our current television dates from the turn of the millennium and the improvement in new TVs is astounding. We currently stream downloaded media content from my laptop to Chromecast via Videostream. However, it seems I may have overlooked the small but annoying issue that there is a bewildering void in options for devices that can provide 4K content to this shiny new TV. Samsung has, from what I have gathered, only two potential options: the Samsung Evolution kit for a daunting price of $400, and the My Passport Cinema 4K Storage, which is really a 1TB drive that happens to have movies already saved on it.

Digging into this deeper has led me to various
    ¹ articles² that essentially agree that the options for streaming 4K home media to new TV's are pretty limited, and quite expensive:

Still, it's possible not all hope is lost. According to The Wire Cutter, the Nvidia Shield tablet may be my best option. However, I'm curious about getting my media content from my computer -> Nvidia Shield -> Samsung TV in the simplest, fastest, and least intimidating manner possible for my parents to be able to learn the process of choosing a video from my media library to watch on their TV. I'm considering maybe buying an inexpensive mini-PC as storage for the tablet to retrieve content from, but I'm confused about my choices because I know I also have my current router/modem (WNDR4500v2) that actually has 1TB storage space that I've never bothered learning how to implement into our home media streaming habits. Alternatively, I'm also considering investing in Plex, although my past experience with RealPlayerCloud (shoot me now) has left me with a bad taste for cloud storage.

I'm open to running HDMI if necessary, but not up to my bedroom. There will need to be a way to transmit by wifi from my computer to some other device at least before running an HDMI cord the rest of the way to the TV/receiver/whatever ends up happening.

So, basically, that was a long winded way of saying hello to all! Love the site - does anyone have opinions or insights on what I can expect in the future in terms of gadgets, and also what they think of my current options?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group. Hopefully, there will be someone here who can really assist.

For myself, I know Roku has the most "4K" channels / content, while Amazon has some as well (the new Apple TV does not support it). But, as to how this would work with your needs, no idea as it is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

4. roguatron

roguatron New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Merced, CA
    Thanks for your reply! Before I go on with more questions, what is the site policy on discussing the topic of torrenting? I know some boards would prefer to not openly discuss anything that some may consider "illegal", so I don't know if I would be violating a site rule or policy if I include any reference to it in the dialog.